Tuesday, January 12, 2010

New Year's Resolutions...maybe I will make some

This entry is for me... not exciting or funny. (And let me make it clear, this is NOT a picture of me.) Besides the obvious, lose XX pounds.... and become super cute (cosmetic surgery), I think I should focus on better resolutions this year. I usually make zero resolutions.... really, why bother? But maybe this year I will attempt a few 'better parenting' resolutions.

1. Don't scream so much. (Mommy...you always scream!) Ok, point taken. I really do. I don't want to be 'that Mom'...but it seems like somtimes I am.

2. Play more games. I often find myself saying "in a minute" because I'm usually busy checking email, (blogging?). trying to clean something, doing some laundry.....whatever. About a year ago I met someone who became an at-home daycare provider for a few kids a day. She had 4 older kids of her own. She told me that she wishes she had sat down with her own kids when they were young. like she does now....... to play Play-Doh, or whatever they were doing at the time - instead of getting that load of laundry done, or cleaning the kitchen. There is always going to be something that needs to get done, but my kids will only be this young once....and that's right now. Mommy....do yo want to play Mario Kart with me? Why YES..... YES, I do! So, if you come over and my house is a WRECK, I don't care..... I'm trying create (good) memories for my kids. Perhaps it will be nice and clean for a pop-in visit in a few years.

3. Take the kids to do fun things. I thought I was pretty good at this, but I need to get better.....or at least where I was. I used to go to the Zoo, Wild Animal Park, Disneyland....wherever, all the time. Then school started for real for Rose. I need to make sure I do fun things the kids will remember on weekends, and other times we CAN while they are young and still want to spend time with their parents. I want all memories of childhood to be fun and happy...as they should be.

4. Try to keep magic and innocence in my kid's lives. This Christmas has been so much fun. Santa is a reality. Recently, Rose was being really snippy and crabby at bedtime. Nothing I could do was right. Nothing I said was good enough, or right. She was just so mad and frustrated at everything. I was so mad and frustrated too, and I had enough. I left her crying in her bed with the last word being, 'Santa knows everything you are doing.' Within a few minutes, I heard her sobbing....."I'm SO SORRY SANTA"....SANTA... I'm SO SORRY".... I felt horrible.... but had to laugh at the same time.

5. Ok, and lastly, perhaps I need to try to be a better wife too.... make a real meal every once in a while, kiss and hug more, make Andy feel appreciated. Go on dates?

1 - 4 could really all be lumped together. Just try to be a better Mom and make their childhood happy ones. Not that they are horrible so far..... Here I go! David wants to play Mario Kart!

No comments: