Friday, March 19, 2010

Happy 6th Birthday Rosie!!

I started this on Friday, Rose's birthday, but kept getting interrupted every few minutes... so a few days late it is!

When I got pregnant with Rose, I never wanted to know the sex of the baby. That's one big surprise that I definitely wanted to have. So when Andy continually asked if we could find out the sex, I vehemently said no, time after time. Not only did I not want to know, I didn't want HIM to know either. I knew he would never be able to keep it a secret, that he would tell just 1 friend which would turn into 25..... so it was a big, fat, NO! We had an amniocentesis done to make sure she was in good health and he pestered me..."can't we have them tell just me what the sex is?" NO! In the wee hours of March 19th, I had Rose. After they took her out, they went about the business of having Andy cut the cord and cleaning her up. I finally had to ask, what is it? A girl! There was my big surprise I had been waiting for! When they brought her to me to see her for the first time, I took one look at her, said "she's beautiful!" as tears ran down my face. (Ok, as I remember, the tears ran out the corners of my eyes and down into my ears as I was lying down.) A girl! So imagine my surprise when a little later that morning Andy proclaimed in front of my Mom and me, "I knew it was a girl the whole time." I was ready to kill him (as was my Mom)....don't mess with a hormonal Mommy! He went on to regale us with how he had called UCSD where we had the amnio done and demanded they tell him the sex. He was SO proud that he had known and never let the cat out of the bag to me, or anyone else. That explained why I had to ask Andy what the sex was. He already knew and didn't remember that they had to tell me. In the end, who cares... I did get my surprise, but at the time....don't tell your super little secret to the Mother who had just given birth hours before!


Now, on to Rose. I sent Rose off to school with rainbow cupcakes to share with her classmates. (Fridays are good at school because they are half day.) She had a great day at school, which included a jump rope-a-thon, then had fun playing with Owen, Madeline and the rest of the neighborhood gang after school. After having dinner at Lexie's house, along with all the other kids, they were all off to movie night at school with Aunt Karen and Lisa (Lexie's mom). I stayed home with the boys and Andy. After she got back, we did cupcakes and presents. Rose was treated to a can of frosting with a candle to blow out. That's really her favorite part of the cake anyway! She stayed up and played with some of her new toys with the boys. Just before they headed up to bed the door bell rang. 3 high school girls were doing a scavenger hunt. It was one girl's (Victoria) 17th birthday, so we got a picture of them with Rose. And for those interested, they needed things that started with the letters of the alphabet. They could only gather 2 things at each house. I gave them a picture of a zebra for Z and a bag of M & Ms for M. Tomorrow (Saturday) is Rose's birthday party. This year she decided to have it at Pump It Up so she could invite all her numerous old friends, plus new school friends. I'm thinking this will be the last of her really BIG parties, but then again, I said that last year too.

So, here's to you Rose! Happy Birthday, my 6 year old. Seems like I JUST had you. I'm sure glad I had YOU as my first born. I really couldn't imagine you as anyone other than wonderful you. I love you!




















No comments: