Sunday, March 28, 2010

Alligator Lizards in the Air, In the AIR......

When I was a kid, we used to catch lizards and put them in a big coffee can, remember those? We always had a bunch of them in our front yard to catch. Quite often they would lose their tail, which was always kind of fun, but we never did it intentionally. The house we are in now also has MANY lizards....everywhere. During summer (or any warm day) you can look in the back yard and see at least 6 or more of them. Now that I'm an adult, I can't stand them. They are always around. When I take the trash out, they scatter like mice. They of course run right to where I'm going, under the trash cans. I often run them over and squash them when I take the cans out. They aren't the smartest guys. The small ones aren't so bad, but the other day David and I looked out the back door and saw one of the longest guys I have seen here in our yard. It looked more like a small snake. It let us come outside and get close enough to take some pictures before slithering away up the bank. I got a measuring tape after he was gone and measured based on the picture. The thing was 16 inches long! CREEPY!! I guess this is what they look like if they never have a pesky bird (or kid) break their tail off. I saw him again the other day in the bushes. Perhaps I should just name him and call him a pet. How does Fluffy sound?

And BTW, I have seen the band America sing Ventura Highway (where the lyrics in my blog post title came from) a few times, the most recent, which wasn't recent at all (pre-kids) was with Andy, Helene, and her friend Lisa at the Canyon Club in Agoura Hills. It's always fun to wail out the lyrics to a song along with the real band that sings them, even if they are a little past their prime. You see, I've been through the desert on a horse with no name...

EDIT: Roz was there too...sorry I forgot!!



No comments: