Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I'm a Little Girl Scout Short and Stout......

My sister and I were Girl Scouts when we were young, and went pretty far... Brownies, Juniors, Cadettes and then Seniors. If I remember correctly, we stopped just before High School. I remember it being a really good group to be involved in. It seemed like we did so many fun things. As an adult I can appreciate that when I was a kid, I was probably an A #1 GEEK, but I sure had a good childhood. I want Rose to experience all the fun things I did, so I signed her up for Daisies, the first rung on the GS ladder. Madeline has joined too, but they do it a little differently now and don't mix grades. The girls won't be in the same troop, but I know they will have a good time. I am a little disappointed that the very first thing the parents had to decide was whether or not we were going to start sell nuts right away as a fund raiser. The girls hadn't even had a meeting yet and we were already talking fund raising! I'd rather write a check and skip it, which is what I think we are going to do. Argh..... Anyway, Rosie is a little Daisy. I went to the Girl Scout Store to buy her uniform. When I walked in it was like a kid in a candy store! There was every badge ever, patches galore, shirts, hats, uniforms, handbooks, scrap booking supplies, dolls, you name it.....all Girl Scout themed. When I was a kid, we bought our supplies at the local JC Penny's. I think the leader's had to send away for badges as we earned them. I sure wish I had saved my uniforms. Wow, I sound like my parents...about how it was when they were kids. Anyway, I'm excited for Rose and all the great new things she will experience now that she has started school and is able to start joining different groups. Can't wait for her to start earning badges! Hell, perhaps I will just go back to that store and buy myself some badges and a sash and re-live my GS days!

No comments: