Wednesday, November 25, 2009

This Little Piggy Went to Market

The debate over getting the swine flu shot was never one I struggled over, it was just waiting to find somewhere to get them. Our school district somehow managed to get them for students and their siblings. So, last Saturday, my best neighbor and friend EVER.....Lisa, went down to the school at 5 AM armed with coffee, a chair and books to get a place in line to ensure our kids could get them. Once she was there (along with only 1 other crazy Mom) she got the skinny on the day. There would be 1000 doses available for that location and they were going to hand out wristbands at 8 AM for the 9 AM start. She called me a little before 7 to let me know to get the kids there soon, so I got them up, dressed and into Aunt Helene's car so she could drop us off. Armed with baggies of Kix and Cheerios cereal and some juice boxes, off we went. When we got there, they had the street blocked off with sheriffs to keep the mob in order. Lisa's kids, Tyler and Lexie had been dropped off too, so it was super fun playtime for the kids. At first I felt guilty for "cutting" the line, but at least Lisa warned everyone around her she was holding a spot for 5 kids. All others there that early were doing the same thing. The line was pretty long when we got there at about 7:50. We ended up getting the nasal dose, so the kids never had to deal with shots. I didn't have any lollipops with me, so that was probably a very good thing. By the time we were all done, the line was nearly 2/3 of the way around the school. Andy likened it to getting in line super early for wristbands to buy Grateful Dead tickets. Now, we have to do it all again for the follow-up dose in another 3 weeks. Set that alarm clock Lisa....and THANK YOU!!!

Lexie, are you as super psyched to get the vaccine as I am?

















I could have taken the picture when they were having fun and playing Duck Duck Goose, but no.

















Seriously.....what's up with my teeth? CREST WHITE STRIPS...WHERE ARE YOU?
















Lisa, my HERO!!























You can't really tell, but the line was LONG!!
David went first, then Rose, then I held Joe.....so no picture.



















No comments: