Monday, January 26, 2009

Sweet Valentine....whoa whoa whoa (think Neil Diamond)













So this past December I was in Target shopping for Christmas things when I saw all the Valentine things out....and realized how behind I was on my Valentine's Day prep! So mid January I was in a crafty mood and decided to make some fun Valentine hearts with the kids. Here are the fruits of our labor, and the how to, in case you are feeling crafty too!


You will need:

3 cups flour
1 cup salt (plain iodized table salt)
1 cup water
Cookie Cutters (I used heart shapes)
Wooden Skewer (or something else pointy)
Paintbrushes
Acrylic paint (I use craft paint)
Glitter
White Glue
Mod Podge
Narrow Ribbon

1. Mix ingredients together on medium with an electric mixer (my Kitchen Aid stand mixer which normally holds my sippy cup lids works particularly well for this) until a ball forms. Remove the dough and knead until it is smooth. I found I needed to add a little more water to make it more pliable.

2. To make each heart, roll the dough like you would for cookies (like I know what that's like) to about 1/4 inch thick. Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes. You could also just hand form to desired shape. Use a drop or 2 of water to glue pieces of dough together. I layered smaller hearts on top of larger ones on some of the hearts. Use skewer to make a hole for the ribbon about 1/4 inch from the top. Make it a little bit wide as the hole gets a little smaller during baking. Place them on a foil lined cookie sheet and bake at 275 degrees for 2 hours.

3. Paint your shapes after they have completely cooled. I painted one side, let it dry, then did the other side. After paint is dry, coat with glue and sprinkle with glitter (you could also use the Mod Podge for this step). Let that dry then coat entire heart with Mod Podge or some other clear sealer, doing one side at a time. Once dry, string ribbon through hole and hang!


We are having such a great time making these.... (when I'm not cursing the fact that I will be vacuuming up glitter for a long time) particularly Rose, who is enjoying making them for her friends.

But crap.... this just reminds me how late I am for Easter!!

2 comments:

arlawless said...

These hearts are so cute!! I told my mom we should make some with Em. I showed her this blog post and pictures, and she agreed they look great! I hope to try them this coming week.

Thanks for the idea and recipe!

Ann said...

Thanks Molly.....I want to see pictures if you do make them! Or see them in person. Emily will enjoy making them if she is in to crafts. Sometimes I can't really tell is she is or not during class. My favorites are the sloppy ones teh kids paint. The problem is they have given most of those away! Time to make more.