Monday, January 26, 2009

I AM White Trash

This was an email I sent my good friends Bob & Victor when Rose was 2 and a half, David was 14 months and I was 6 months pregnant with Joey. They set me up with the blog back in September and have to hound (encourage) me to keep up with it. They just forwarded the email back to me to share on the blog. I think it's worth the read. ENJOY!





That's it, I'm officially white trash.

Yesterday I went to Wal-Mart. David was sitting in the cart and Rose wanted to walk. I brought my leftover bag of popcorn from Target from the day before, just in case. The #1 at the snack bar is a bag of popcorn and a drink for $1. What a good deal!! I digress...... Rose decides to throw a fit in the store. She was crying and mad because I didn't bring a pacifier for her. I try to not use them during the day, especially in public.... (I always think people think less of you of you if you let your kids have pacifiers) I pick her up and she screams and cries even louder so I tell her we are going to leave the store. I didn't really want to as its such a pain in the ass to get to the store in the first place! We go over to the hair supplies aisle to find girly hair stuff to quiet her down. While I was picking out things for her, David was reaching to the pegs filled with fun stuff for him to pull off onto the floor. I was keeping my eye on him, and wasn't going to let him actually destroy the lovely Wal-Mart display. A Wal-Mart employee, stocking the shelves in the same aisle, said to David something to the effect "don't pull that off, honey". Imagine.... being reprimanded by a WAL-MART employee who barely spoke English herself!! I then told her not to worry, that I wouldn't let that happen.

Later, Rose sat in the back of the cart playing with her new hair goodies. I broke out the bag of popcorn so they would be tolerable for the duration of the shopping experience. They ate nicely, barely leaving a popcorn trail throughout the store. We got to the baby clothes area where I found a cute green fleece jacket for a mere $10. I had Rose try it on to see if we could get the last remaining size that might work. As she was trying on the quality garment, I see David sort of shaking the bag of popcorn. I knew I should stop him, and planned to do so, just after I took the jacket off Rose. I hear a RIP........ I looked over in time to see popcorn flying like confetti all over the place. (I knew it was going to happen, even before I went into the store with said popcorn, but decided I would take that risk.) I did my best to clean the popcorn off the floor, sweeping it neatly into a pile with my foot, then picking up what I could. I then found a machine that played kid's CDs I could park them in front of to push the buttons while I picked out fine plastic ware (plates and bowls) for them. They were also a fine deal at $1 for a pack of 2. (They really are good quality.... I have been looking for them for a few months now after finding 1 package to buy a while ago.) We then proceeded to the toy department to find a gift for a friend having a birthday on Saturday. Rose of course found several things that caught her eye which we picked up and carried with us for her to play with before dumping them at the soonest opportunity so we wouldn't actually have to buy them. Then I noticed the cameras in the ceiling. I thought certainly they must be keeping an eye on me for sure. I decided to dump the hair products as she really didn't need them. I set them down amongst the toys, then thought I might look suspicious to the cameras. I picked them back up and put them back where they belonged.... except for a Barbie toothbrush,which I figured was close enough to the correct department. We then proceeded to the registers where the cashier agreed what a good find my plastic ware was. I paid and we left the store. As I walked to the van, I laughed and realized I had really sunk to a new level. ME, UNWELCOME AT WAL-MART!!! No one said that to me, but if I were an employee there, I certainly would have bad mouthed me after my departure!!

Just thought I would share this with you. Love you!

1 comment:

V and B said...

It's an oldie but goodie! I love the pictures of the lovely weather you guys have... Can I get some too? Hugs. Vic