Friday, January 30, 2009

The Grateful Dead




So, many of you know I love the Grateful Dead. That's one of the reasons Andy and I met. We were both strong-armed into joining matchmaker.com by friends and Andy sent me an email based on info in my profile regarding the Dead. I love the Dead, but Andy LOVES the Dead! About a month ago he got an email from the GD site saying they were planning a reunion tour. Andy got tickets for the show in LA in May. We can't wait to go see them! I'm guessing Andy is excited to get his show count higher...he has been stalled at 76 (I think) since Jerry (Garcia) died in 1995. My show count is much lower. I can't remember what the exact number is, something like 17, nor can I remember complete set lists of shows I have seen like Andy can.


For those who don't know Andy well, the guy is like an idiot savant. He can remember dates, sports stats, game scores, show set lists, what he was wearing to a show or event...things like that. It isn't a matter of looking things up on the internet, he just knows it. If you are talking about an event or memory, he can tell you the date, usually based on a sporting event, and he will be able to tell you who won, and what the final score was. (He and my brother Dale are 2 of the smartest guys I know.)


Anyway....we are really excited for May to get here. I know there will be much speculation on Andy's part as to what the opening song will be plus the set list and encore. And finally, it will really be interesting to see which tie die, or Dead shirt Andy will wear. He will have a reason for what he has on and it will have great meaning to him. So many of his best memories are from trips with so many of his best friends to Dead shows. I'm sure he will really enjoy finding a new shirt at the show. His are for the most part all handmade shirts people make and sell at the shows.


This picture is of Andy's newest Dead shirt.... could there be anything better than both JETS football AND the Grateful Dead?

3 comments:

V and B said...

There's nothing better in the world than a Jets/Grateful Death Tee!!! Did you get that at Cal's Best??? ;)

Ann said...

I can't believe I don't remember, but what was the name of Cal's house brand?

Ann said...

Oh, got it....
SOTO!