Friday, April 2, 2010

The Great Egg Hunt!

Today was David's spring party and egg hunt at school. There was a sign up sheet for a few weeks prior with all sorts of things to bring. I signed up for pepperoni as they were making english muffin pizzas. (Plus, all the other easy choices had been taken.....napkins and plates) The slot for "2 dozen sugar cookies to be frosted" sat permanently vacant, so Wednesday, I added my name to bring them. I couldn't let the kiddies be sugar deprived right before Easter! Well, as EVERYONE knows, I am extremely challenged in the art of culinary skills. Every time the kids decorate cookies at school, there are always perfectly-perfect cookies to decorate. I have no idea who normally brings them, but they didn't step up to the plate on this occasion. I consulted my friend Kelly who is usually the type to present just those perfect cookies and asked her how she does it. I followed her advise and got the super secret cookie mix (when she isn't making them from scratch from Martha Stewart's recipe) and gave it a go. I followed the directions to the T, lovingly rolled them out with the rolling pin my first boyfriend Scott Bingham's step-mom gave me 28 years ago, and cut them out with a glass, making sure they were perfectly shaped. What I forgot to take into consideration was expansion. The end result were perfectly-perfect sugar cookies the size of Joey's head! Well, I was almost embarrassed to bring them in, but I had no other choice as I had no back up plan. I made them last night and wasn't about to run to the store to try it all again. I was sure they wouldn't have enough frosting to decorate them all, they were so big. I planned to stop by the store on my way to school this AM and pick up an extra can of frosting just in case, but of course I ran late and wasn't able to. In the end, there was enough frosting, but just barely. The kids loved them, the other helpers in the classroom asked how I got them so big and perfect and one of the parents commented on how good they were, having sampled them, not knowing I had made them. "Oh, these silly things? It was nothing, really...."

The kids had a great time making pizzas (and by the way, they put me on cooking duty for the pizzas too...Mrs. Martin obviously has no idea what she sort of culinary prowess she is dealing with). As for the party and egg hunt, they were a success. The kids all had donned their bunny ear head bands and bunny bags they had made, and went on the hunt for eggs with their names on them. It was fun to watch and listen to them shriek to each other they had found one, or alerting friends they had seen theirs. I was a little sad that I didn't have Joey there too, but his day will come.....like tomorrow, when we take them all to another egg hunt!

Side note, Rose had an egg hunt yesterday at school too, but parents weren't invited to come. We did go early to pick her up today and listen to the class sing a few aquatic songs. They just finished studying oceanography. They were cute. Oh, and next week is Spring Break..... YAY!! A whole week of NOT hearing "I don't want to go to school!"

No comments: